Hockey Betting – the Best Bookmakers for Hockey in the US
Before a person starts betting on ice hockey, it is important that they have a solid knowledge of the game. Ice hockey has become hugely popular in the USA in recent years and is one of the most popular sports worldwide, so there are plenty of betting options here. A variety of leagues and competitions are also available.
Top Recommended Hockey Betting Sites
The Most Common Hockey Bets
- Moneyline: This is the most popular type of bet. In hockey, a money line replaces a point spread. When it comes to such bets, all you need is the team you choose to win regardless of the margin. With the money line, you always have a favorite and an outsider. The minus sign (eg Penguins -120) means the favorite and the amount you have to bet to make $ 100. In this example, punters would bet $120 to win $100 if they bet on the Penguins. The plus sign (e.g. Red Wings +100) indicates the outsider and the amount you will win for every $ 100 you bet. In this case, players who bet $100 on the Red Wings will win $100.
- Totals (Over/Under): This type of bet refers to the number of combined goals that the competitors expect in the matchup. Here you have to “only” determine whether more or fewer than X goals will be scored in an ice hockey game. Punters can choose between an over or under the listed score.
- Puckline: The puck line is a combination of the money line and a point spread bet. Most of the time, the puck line is plus or minus 1 and a half goals. In other words, you either bet on a team to win two or more goals, or you bet on a team to either win directly or to lose by only one goal. For example, the Penguins are – 1 ½ (+200) and the Red Wings are +1 ½ (-2400). If you put $100 on the Penguins, you would earn $200 if they won the game with more than two goals. If they lose or win with a difference of just one goal you lose your money. If you bet $100 on the Red Wings, you would get $240. This wager will win if Pittsburgh wins outright or if they lose by exactly one goal.
- Grand Salami: “Grand Salami” predicts the total number of goals in a certain number of games, which usually take place on the same day. The Grand Salami is a unique over/under bet in pro ice hockey. The bookmakers create a number every day based on the number of games available and you can bet on “over” or “under” the Grand Salami – Total.
Tips for Betting on Hockey
Ice hockey betting is most popular in Canada and the countries of Northern and Eastern Europe. Statistical research is a good place to start if you are trying to get a head start on the bookmaker. As with many sports, home advantage is a big factor to consider if you want to learn how to play ice hockey. Where does a team play best? Keep an eye on the game and performance statistics of all players.
You should also research the team you are betting on, their players and performance statistics. You should pay special attention to the performance of the team’s goaltender as this position is of really high importance. Those interested in live ice hockey wagering should also check out the coach’s ‘line-changes’, which are done in response to the opposition tactics.
Best Betting Sites by Sport Category
- Fast money transactions
- Licensed gambling
- Several accepted currencies
- Instant Withdrawals
- Reliable and Helpful Customer Support
- Amazing Live Casino Section